My name is Lindsey Triplett and I graduated from American University in May of 2006. I want to tell you how much the campus ministry meant to me during my time at AU.
I joined the AU United Methodist Community in August of 2002. While that sounds quite official and like I had my head on straight, I can tell you at that time I was in a rough place. My parents had just divorced that summer and separated two years prior. In high school, I felt like no one cared about me. My parents were always fighting and I was a very shy, not-really-religious girl. Stepping into Kay for that first time was, to say the least, quite intimidating. I was suddenly surrounded by people who I viewed as "better" people and Christians than I was, after all I had just gone through the motions for 18 years. The next four years brought more joy, enlightenment, spiritiuality, friendship and excitement than I had ever thought possible. For the first time, I belonged. This was due entirely to the campus ministry at AU. Rev. Mark Schaefer, who I still consider to be a great mentor and friend, helped me greatly to achieve what I am today. Through bible studies, programs and events that were all geared towards serving God and the community both at AU and in Washington, I began to see purpose in what I was doing and who I was. I eventually was elected to be Vice-President and finally President for my senior year. The community that we all formed together was one of the best I had ever known. The people there are truly committed to teaching, serving and learning the word of God in all kinds of different ways-- far too many to describe here.
As I have moved into the "real" world, I still reminisce upon the community at AU and know that it forever changed the course of my life. I now am an active member of my church in Vienna, VA - Vienna Presbyterian- and I volunteer with youth there to maybe have an impact on their lives as Rev. Schaefer and my peers had on me during my time at AU.