Growing up my mom would harp on me that we were United Methodist. Ok, I’d respond. Yet, somehow my mother’s unwavering faith in Wesley’s theology has become my own - for the most part. I especially appreciate John Wesley’s saying: “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” Now that I have graduated from Oklahoma City University I am finding that ‘at all the times you can’ means something very different. Instead of putting off homework to attend Evensong Worship, Kappa Phi, or Wednesday at the Wesley lunch and Bible Study I’m now juggling which meetings are the most important and when I’m going to check my e-mail between meetings. Gone are the 3 a.m. nights and here to stay are the 7:45 a.m. mornings.
You’d think I was working in corporate America as opposed to serving as a US-2 Young Adult Missionary through the General Board of Global Ministries with the United Methodist Church. “The US-2 Program is a leadership development experience through peace with justice missions for young adults (20-30 years old). This two-year opportunity to serve in the United States encourages its participants to deepen their faith while learning from and serving with community based organizations. US-2's will boldly reexamine their role and participation in society as they struggle with hunger, homelessness, HIV/AIDS, illiteracy, children at risk, substance abuse, racism, domestic violence, and inadequate health care.” (http://new.gbgm-umc.org/about/us/mp/missionaries/youngadults/us2/)
The experience I’m having at my US-2 placement, working for Church World Service Education and Advocacy program as an assistant public policy advocate, is priceless. Every morning I walk past some of our country’s most important landmarks in Washington D.C. Every day I am able to work on issues I am passionate about. And every evening I thank God for the path that brought me here.
I wouldn’t trade my time at OCU for the world. The endless hours I spent in Watson Lounge are always fresh on my mind and dear to my heart. The relationships I formed and the lessons I learned there continue to foster me in Washington D.C. So often I heard Saint Francis of Assisi quoted, “Preach the gospel at all times, when necessary use words.” Today as I run from meeting to meeting I pray my actions follow the wise words of St. Francis.
My words may not be as wise but I would say to you get involved in your Campus Ministry. Attend as many worship and fellowship experiences as you can. Lose sleep to get your class work done, but also just to hang out. Life’s next chapter will be upon you sooner then you know. And although the next chapter maybe more spectacular then present, don’t let the present slip away without enjoying it!
Rebecca Yount is a graduate of Oklahoma City University and is currently a US-2 Young Adult Missionary through the General Board of Global Ministries.